Mountains of Sydney - Mount Solitary
An iconic mountain that is an absolute must visit. Mount Solitary is the great mass you see when you look out from Echo Point in Katoomba. Mount Solitary can be visited as a day walk but is also a popular overnight camping area. Allow a full day.
From Katoomba, drive out along Cliff Drive and turn onto Glenraphael Drive. Follow this winding dirt road for 2km to a small signposted car park at the Golden Stairs. This car park can get busy on weekends and it is sometimes necessary to park some distance away on the side of the road.
Directions to the summit
1. From the car park, descend down the Golden Stairs.
2. At the bottom, turn right and follow Federal Pass to the south. The track is an old tram track so is fairly flat.
3. After 2.5km you reach a toilet and a sign to Ruined Castle. Turn right and follow the path up the hill toward Ruined Castle. NOTE: If carrying camping gear, it is advisable to leave it here and return here after exploring Ruined Castle.
4. Ruined Castle is a rocky crag that can be easily climbed. It has great views in all directions and of Mount Solitary itself directly ahead. From here, continue following the track until it rejoins the main track to Mount Solitary.
5. The climb up Korrowall Knife Edge is long and steep but not particularly difficult. There is one section near the top where the track splits and the main track (on the left) is easy to miss. Just after this there is a difficult climb up a rocky section.
6. The summit is a large wooded flat area.
7. There is a great lookout to the south at Chinamans Gully.