Mountains of Sydney - Mount Skanzi
A big mountain that dominates Kangaroo Valley. The slopes and summit are covered in rainforest. The top has great views.
Mount Skanzi is on private land. Ensure you have required permissions before climbing this mountain.
From Kangaroo Valley, drive west along Mount Skanzi road. At the Y intersection, veer right onto Tallowa Dam Road. You will see Mount Skanzi looming overhead to your left. Follow this road another 6.5km until a dirt driveway appears to your left. Park on the side of the road.
Directions to the summit
1. From the road, follow the dirt road straight up the hill.
2. After about 600m, a driveway branches off to the left and the road curves around to the right. Start climbing up the spur between the two roads.
3. After about 250m cycads appear and the climb becomes very steep. Keep going straight up! Loose stones underfoot make progress difficult.
4. At the top of the climb, you enter a beautiful dark rainforest and start heading east along a narrow ridge. A trick is to walk slightly below the top of the ridge, where the vegetation is usually a lot thinner.
5. You reach a fence and then there is a fire trail you can follow.
6. Take the right hand fork. Follow for another hundred meters or so, then head north off the trail and up the hill. Turn right once you reach the summit ridge.
7. There is a trig point at the summit, wiith some great views in various directions.