Mountains of Sydney - Mount Coorongooba
From Rylstone, head east along Narango Road. This turns into a dirt road as you enter Wollemi National Park. Follow this for around 11km to Red Hill. There is a small clearing on the right side of the road where the fire trail starts.
Directions to the summit
1. From the car park, ride a mountain bike or walk along the Army Road fire trail for 4 km to a track junction.
2. Take the right hand fork (Glen Alice Road) and follow up the hill for another 700m.
3. At the crest you leave the fire trail and the climb up the mountain begins. There is no track up the mountain; a route has to be found through the scrub. Climb up to the first saddle and turn south.
4. There is a difficult scramble up the initial cliff face. Once at the top of this section the going is flatter but the scrub can be thick. There are some amazing views back along the Cudgegong River valley. Many other mountains can be seen from here.
Eventually the vegetation starts to change as the geology changes to basalt.
5. The summit itself is an interesting grassy woodland. Head back down the way you came.