Mountains of Sydney - Ironpot Ridge
A relatively easy mountain to visit. There are some great views north over the Megalong Valley from the top. Suitable for children (if closely supervised around cliffs). Allow around 3 hours.
At Blackheath, cross the railway line then turn immediately left and follow Shipley Road, then Megalong Road, down into the Megalong Valley. Follow this for 18km before reaching a closed gate. Access from here is through a private farm, but access has been agreed with National Parks. Remember to close all gates behind you. The road is steep but is accessible in a 2WD car. After 3km you reach a T-intersection. Turn right and follow the road till you reach a car park at the top of the hill.
Directions to the summit
1. From the car park, climb over the stile and follow the fire trail west along the fence line.
2. After 1 km leave the fire trail and climb a very steep walking track straight up the mountain.
3. At the top the track curves around to the right and continues west across the top of the ridge.
4. The summit is fairly flat.
5. Continue another 200m to reach a signposted lookout with great views over the Megalong Valley. Return the way you came.