Mountains of Sydney - Church Mountain
An interesting place to visit overlooking Charbon Colliery near Kandos. Extensive views can be gained from the summit. Church Mountain can be visited in 2 hours.
Access is via Cooper Drive, between Kandos and Clandulla. Turn off Cooper Drive onto a dirt road leading to the colliery. You will see Church Mountain up ahead. Follow the road till you come to a large four way intersection. If you have a 2WD car you should probably leave it here.
Directions to the summit
1. The first section is a gravel road winding steeply up the side of the mountain. If you have a 4WD vehicle you can drive this section. Otherwise you will have to walk or ride to the top of the plateau.
2. Follow the road until you are basically directly east of Church Mountain. Leave the road and walk west around 500m through open forest.
3. When you hit the base of the mountain, turn left and skirt clockwise around the base of the mountain. You will pass some interesting caves. There is a footpad of sorts.
4. You will then see a sort of large ramp heading directly up the mountain in a northern direction. Follow that steeply up till you hit the northern side of the mountain. There are some good lookouts to your right.
5. The path then switches back to the south toward the summit. There are great views to be had all the way up the mountain in various directions.
6. The summit has several different points with amazing views in every direction. Back down the bottom, there are some more spots worth exploring along the eastern and western edges of the plateau.