Mountains of Sydney - Blackmans Crown
A very impressive peak to visit just off the main highway. The top has amazing 360 degree views. Highly recommended for a visit. The summit area has some dangerous long drops and is definitely not suitable for children or poor climbers. Reaching the summit takes only around an hour from leaving the highway.
Drive north from Lithgow along Castlereagh Highway. Park at Pearsons Lookout, just south of Capertee. Note that the lookout carpark cannot be entered from the northbound lane of the highway. It is best to drive through to Capertee then turn around and head back to Pearsons Lookout.
Directions to the summit
1. Cross the highway and follow a small walking track up the hill. You pass some old mineshafts. Continue across the top of the knoll and head down the other side to a saddle.
2. At the saddle, head to the right. Follow the west side of the cliffs.
3. Pass the first small gully. You then reach a wide ramp heading up into a gap in the cliffs.
4. At the top of the ramp you are in a large flat area, with a second line of cliffs in front of you. Follow the base of these cliffs around to the left (north).
5. Continue till you are blocked by cliffs. There is another wide steep gully heading up to your right. Follow this gully all the way to the top.
6. You are now on the top of the plateau.
7. The summit is bare rock with some scattered trees.